Descript

Hello friends, welcome to The Deranged World. This domain is primarily a personal introspection of thoughts, feelings and activities. Some of them are funny, some slightly emotional, some exceedingly intellectual, and others completely nonsensical in nature. But nevertheless, they all reflect a truthful element of myself then. In addition, you may check out the Project RN series located at 'Interchange'. Do leave a comment as an when you wish, I'll be more than glad to reply them.

31 July 2010

Take 3 of Mio

I am sure the title is more than familiar to some by now. We already have a good insight of who Mio is, where is she from, and why is she here. Ass for the question of 'why take 3'? I have taken this picture to be an experiment  in hybridizing T1.8 drawing styles with T1.7 pictures.

One of the main problems in T1.7 style drawing is the heavy mathematical formula required in constructing the face. While that does give a well-rounded face that is greatly proportionate, its main drawback is that most of the pictures generated are formulaic and repetitive. I was essentially changing hairstyles and clothes for every new picture; otherwise, everything else was pretty much the same- and before long, boredom sets in.

On the other hand, I had picked up T1.8 drawings over the past 2 weeks. T1.8 drawings differ considerably from T1.7 primarily due to the referencing and method of construction. There was no formula for T1.8, except a keen eye, a good intuitive sense, as well as a photo-realistic reference material. While that allows me to draw more variety, I am merely copying originals, and serve no purpose to create arbitrary characters.

It was vexing, I needed the ability to draw (and convert) characters, and I needed fluidity (not mathematics). Previous attempts at drawing complex poses using the T1.7 method of construction (measure shoulder length, correlate hand stick movements) were tedious, and did not produce the best results. I took a break on drawing for two weeks, trying to bring together the two sides of the equation. Today I finally found the answer:

That was how Mio came out in the wash- a woman, with a slight bit of anime undertones, but looks natural. Apart from basic measurements of eye size and spacing, as well as general nose/mouth proportions, everything else was added intuitively. I kept the shadings rough this time, since I was simulating the use of a charcoal pencil. A few modifications to the thickness of the eyebrows, the nose shape (still not perfect but evolving), and the dynamic movement of hair to add more life into the picture. The end product was a T1.7 drawing, with potential to convert to a T1.8 detail picture at any moment as long as I can get hold of a photo of any woman's face; Mio never looked so attractive before. LOL.

Of course the picture is still far from perfect. Many aspects could still be fine tuned, or brought up in greater detail for it to go beyond the T1.7 standard. I am not too anxious to reproduce reality though. I appreciate my drawing style, since it fittingly depicts my innate moderation between anime and contemporary art styles. But while I there is always room for improvement, there is of course room for appreciation- on how Mio killed the witch for the 3rd time.



Genre: Version 1.7 anime/manga conversions
Source Material: Mio Akiyama; Version 1.3 depiction.
Secondary Reference Material: Attempt #07- Yui Hirasawa
Dimensions: 20 : 25 cm bust portrait
Idealism factor: 50% 
Duration: 2.5 hours (surprisingly quick) 
Comments: Drawing construct for this portrait is new and largely intuitive. Shading for this portrait is much more rough than the usual shading styles, and the picture is much darker than before. Picture outlines may be slightly too dark, and may be reduced to give the picture a more 'solid' look. Work still underway to perfect the nose. Otherwise, the best depiction of Mio of the 3. Btw, she's hot. 

No comments: