Picked up a new skill- drawing proper.
Not that I have never touched a picture before- Technically I have been meddling with other's pictures for quite a long time, being technical along the way, and never by once leading by example. I have said before I do not have proper depth perception, so in a way it puts me in a sort of disadvantage from the start.
So far I have only made 3 rough sketches over the course of 3 days. Three sketches of human faces (or 3 portraits, you might want to say). The main objective was to draw (and shade) a face from scratch, or by simplistic reference to manga pictures; the challenge was to make it asthetically pleasing (and of course, slightly more realistic).
The first attempt were kinda half-drawn. Literally, since I only managed to (barely) outline half a face before my visual perception starts spinning out of control. The eyes were drawn first, and then detail was added, starting from features ajacent to the eyes, and finally the face shape was inserted accordingly. No outlines were used, and features were directly shaded into the face itself. Some european female of 23 years emerged from the muddle of grey and black- barely human, but well it was a start. I called her Siobhan anyway.
The second attempt came the next evening. It was going to be a generic female (totally from memory), and this time with greater determination to put the symmetry and depth perception under control. As with the first, the eyes were drawn first, but this time the entire head was outlined. Some rudimentary measurment was utilized (via no of thumbs) to estimate facial proportions. There was a lot of trail-and-error involved, and the face was shortened greatly to prevent her from looking like a horse. A Jap chick of 28 years emerged, with huge black eyes and strereotypical hair. There was still residual asymmetry, and she seems to have the Yemete look; so I named her Ms Yemete. So much for Jesse's repressed fantasies of girls going Yemete Yemete then-
The third attempt was a trial attempt to convert anime characters into 1.5 version. It was an ambitious attempt, since I do not remember encouraging conversions till the basics were mastered. Nevertheless, the same method was employed to Azu-nyan (tts her name in the manga), like how it did to Ms Yemete and Siobhan. However this time I was armed with an armada of calculators and rulers (and an eye patch) to plot coordinates of where each feature was suppoed to go. Azu-nyan came out in the wash, looking sweet sixteen (but has a rebellious edge), complete with a cute ponytail that impossible hairstyle. I am considering whether I ought complete her with some hot-looking body, but I guess that might take up to 4 pages (the head is already half a page long).
Hey, drawing is fun. Although my current level status is still "under-training", it is nevertheless heartening to produce semi-graduated pictures (the shading masks lots) that have their own set of imperfections. This is the essence of living- not being perfect, but rather halfway attaining perfection.
If I may have the liberty of time tomorrow I'll start work on the Hirasawa Genius (personally my favourite moe character). Hopefully she'll turn out okay- either way, i'll have fun nevertheless.
Attributes: Siobhan
Genre: Version 1.5 Imaginary character
Source Material: N.A.
Dimensions: 8 :3 cm partial (RHS) facial portrait
Idealism factor: 100% (how much was made up)
Duration: 45 mins
Attempts: 1st attempt of genre.
Comments: Partial depiction of face, sense of symmetry not developed- shading style generally fine, more emphasis may be attributed to the eye, nose and neck. Lips not shaded yet.
Attributes: Ms Yemete
Genre: Version 1.5 Imaginary character
Source Material: N.A.
Dimensions: 10 : 6 cm bust portrait (i.e. head and shoulders).
Idealism factor: 100% (how much was made up)
Duration: 2.5 hours
Attempts: Global- 2rd attempt, local- 1st attempt.
Comments: Facial symmetry needs to given due attention (esp the eyes- may have a T1.3 manga undertone), shading on hair needs to be re-defined. Nose needs to be re-defined, neck could be thicker. Looks Japanese.
Attributes: Azusa a.k.a. Azy-nyan
Genre: Version 1.6 anime/manga character conversions.
Source Material: Azusan Nakano, Sakurakou K-ON Bu, K-ON!! Listen!!
Dimensions: 15 : 10 cm bust portrait (i.e. head and shoulders).
Idealism factor: 75% (how much was made up)
Duration: 3.5 hours
Attempts: Global- 3rd attempt, local- 1st attempt.
Comments: Proportions (neck especially) may be thicker, facial rendering (esp nose) needs to be more well defined, hair depiction in ponytail may need more attention. Needs 2nd level soft-shadowing.
No comments:
Post a Comment