Descript

Hello friends, welcome to The Deranged World. This domain is primarily a personal introspection of thoughts, feelings and activities. Some of them are funny, some slightly emotional, some exceedingly intellectual, and others completely nonsensical in nature. But nevertheless, they all reflect a truthful element of myself then. In addition, you may check out the Project RN series located at 'Interchange'. Do leave a comment as an when you wish, I'll be more than glad to reply them.

04 August 2009

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Finally watched it. And I have only one word for it: Its unique.

While most normal movies teether on conventional tangible idealistic concepts, this movie, on the other hand, goes to extremes. On one side it focuses extremely on screen dynamics and animation play, yet on the other hand such detailed animation and 'camera' focus is directly linked to a complex soup of pragmatics and philosophical ideals. The only trace of conventionally 'tangible' concepts (i.e. direct semantics) lies within its intrinsic and counter-intuitive plot. And frankly speaking, I had difficulty following it.

This installment seeks neither to bring plot, or fanservice, across to the audience. Somehow, it seems to be bringing across a personal interpretative message; with the concepts of creation and dinstinction, the qualia of life and cognitive delusion; brought in the traditional form cyberpunk through the man-machine conflict (thematically similar to the Matrix). There are many allusions, some of which are rather unfamilar, and some of them impossible to decrypt on the first preview. Of course I will be re-visiting this movie a-soon-er.

I cant rate this movie. This is because it isn't meant to be one in the first place. And I cant rate the quality of the ideas highlighted in this film- these ideas are eternal, encompassing, and universal. This film does not arbitrarily introduce new ideas into the playing field for critique and evaluation, it merely highlights them as part of an existing (ongoing) critique by the director to the theory of knowledge.

Not that I am some hardcore sucker for philo or that I am acting as if I know all about the cheem stuff. I know my mental limits, and I like my mindless animation too. For traits of personality cannot be assumed as faces of personality. I would recommend this movie to all those who aspire idealistic development, as well as to those whom had previously sterotyped animation to frivolous lollicons or mindless banter.

Enough of my idealism. Its time to go back to life.

1 comment:

xamtaro said...

you know, upon viewing of a few more scenes(yea im going to have to wait till school re-opens to get the whole movie), this movie seems less like a movie and more like a "medium".

The "movie" is just a way to get the director's ideas out. Its like he has all these ideas already and being an anime director, he expresses them in the one way he is most proficient in; via animation.

There is hardly a "plot". But then again, that would be like expecting a plot from a year-end research paper on quantum physics.

The art is great in all its realistic detail, but the animation looks cheap. Then again, it would be like expecting pretty kawaii pictures in a theologist's bible.

I'll get back to this when i actually do get my hands on the movie. Been wanting to watch it for so long. But the bloody DVD is so expensive. Heck its same price as the Blu-Ray version. *GASP*

Yea true that not many ppl will be able to watch this one. Most of the people who actually do like this(which is like 4, including me and you) are not anime fans per se(or rather not the "usual" ones that download Naruto the bleach on a weekly basis. Other than me, you are too selective to be considered a full time "fan" and the other two admit that they hate anime. lol).

Post more movie reviews leh. :)