Well, this is the first of our two-part post on our Hirasawa Genius (again). Unlike the last time- which was really a trial run for T1.7 pictures, she is slated for a true T1.7 depiction this time.
With a little twist- It would be a half body shot of her holding "Gita" (a.k.a. her Gibson Les Paul guitar).
Conceptualizing the picture was suprisingly quite a difficult task this time. Its not the fact that there are not many stock depictions of her (in anime form) on the web. In fact, there were plenty- more than I could ever go through. Rather, as most anime depictions come along- most of the stock depictions were either gravity defying, exxagerated, or would make her look like a total bimbo should I attempt to 'realize' her. Moreover, it was the first time for me to venture beyond bust portraits, and I am not exactly good with poses. I needed something simple, easy, and yet not too straightforward- I don't want her to look like a suspect under identification in prison.
I guess I finally settled on one of the screenshots in the opening theme. As stated, she's basically standing at a slight perspective (say -30 degrees), strumming a tune, and enjoying herself along the way. The pose was quite simple, however at the very least she isn't teeth-picking it or brandishing it like Les Paul himself. There was a little proportion asymmetry at the chest region, and it wasn't really very detailed (actually, its really generic), but it was possible to make do. It would not be fun if there were more details in the original than the 'realized' version, right?
The outlines for the bust portrait was relatively easy to cough out by now. Some improvisations made to the hair and the eyes, and she's wearing her trademark hair-clips this time. However, there was a little confusion as the pencil ventured away from the familiar terrian of face and hair- mathematical calculations point that the head shoulder ratio should be around 2.4, yet seemingly it was impossible to realize that in drawing. I settled at 2.1 in the end; I guess T2.0 pictures won't be coming anytime soon.
More calculations were made for the uniform. While the original image does not provide any information whatsoever about how the uniform would look like in reality (and is proportionally off), secondary reference was made to the actual cosplay equivalent. There was not much trouble thereafter, and we proceeded to "Gita" himself.
And it was a nightmare.
Technically Gita had to be proportionate, not only to itself in diameter, but also to its length. It had to be comaptible to Yui's hand position, so that we don't end up with the right arm being significantly shorter than the other (the original made this mistake, and the forearm is too short), or Yui looking like she's holding a goose with a really long neck. Most importantly, it had to look like a Gibson Les Paul Guitar (Custom variant, cherryburst design); so this time generic guitar depictions are a no no no. Details were painstakingly added in, and I threw in the inscribed caption "Gibson" in case people still couldn't figure out what it was. This segment took 2 hours on its own- I could have drawn another drummer girl.
Now that the full sketch is completed- I have to daresay it looks quite impressive. The size is just right for a T1.7 depiction~ large enough for a corresponding level of detail, (too large and it'll look plain, too small and it'll be difficult to add in details). For a 7th attempt at drawing, I think I really had bitten off more than I could chew- I will definite regret this when I start shading this. LOL

No comments:
Post a Comment