Well, I initially thought of joining this- but I decided it isn't really fair since there are really kind people that I know that do not deserve this title. moreover, I must admit that there were times I had been equally unkind to people around me....
So in the end this notion came unto this domain- hopefully this may be a subtle yet strong reminder to ourselves never to treat each other as means to an end.... otherwise, lets make this world a better place, shall we? =)

5 comments:
poof! LOL i see my facebook event in that photo!!
and yes, we lead very sad lives huh!! oh well, it just proves that human beings are ALL selfish.. i wrote an essay on that for reason and persuasion last sem.. but i think that true altruistic behaviour is very very very little seen, if at all.. haha..
...if there be even one of them, not to mention small pockets of them striving for such ideals in love, mercy and compassion around.... i guess i am glad enough to carry on living already.
Well, lets just keep striving yeah- it's the least and yet the most we can ever do as humans =)
well, technically even love, mercy and compassion are needs. Only difference is that love does not end when the need ends. Even when the need ends, we still remember and acknowledge the friend as a friend. Hence, we acknowledge that the friend exists even when you dont need something.
But It would be sadder if it said "I only exist when you WANT something".
an altruistic change in attitude would be when the friend exists because you want to care for them; when we start looking at friends not for a source to share our needs and wants, but to share their needs and wants..
but humans are selfish..
but "i'll only exist when you need something" is way better than "i'll only exist when you want someting".. well, at least from a needs-based point of view..
but technically "i'll only exist when you need something" hints at the request being at the last resort, whereas "i'll only exist when you want someting" has a chance that the friend is not entirely desperate and seeks to improve some aspect of their lives..
well, most of us have a conception that a 'need' is a fundamental requirement for well-being, while a 'want' is something we may desire as a bonus or incentive.
But what if we tweak the scenario and say: 'I want to drink water', 'I want to live a sincere life'; in contrast to: 'I need to do homework', or 'I need you to be quiet', These phrases are all valid themselves too.
Psychologist Marslow listed seven fundamental needs of humans, but they had been criticized because some of them were seemingly wants. The major reason was that some of the needs were not universal, and people could do away without it and live on.
Perhaps there is no definite upperhand between a 'need' and a 'want' in terms of importance, but rather a 'need' is an (objective) set of desires that most humans agree on, while a 'want' is a more subjective desire from a person.
The best scenario then, would be when our personal wants are in tune with our fundamental needs. Reciprocal love stands for me on both accounts, as much the personal conviction to turn away from selfishness and sin.
Post a Comment